The 52-Week Illustration Challenge - 2014

Wednesday 1 January 2014

http://taniamccartney.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/the-52-week-illustration-challenge-2014.html

Head to www.facebook.com/groups/418616991575037 to post your creations!

And see the new Challenge Blog right here.

Most people know me as an author, a writer, a word-lover, a font-fanatic. But I have a deep dark secret--I also love to draw. I'm particularly obsessed with graphic design and picture books, and I harbour a secret dream of one day {perhaps!} being able to illustrate my own book.

Big dreams!

I know I'm not an accomplished artist but I do love to sketch, I do love to dip my toes in watercolour and I simply adore flooding .AI cells with colour.

In 2014, I plan to take some drawing lessons to help hone this latent desire, and as part of my attempt to saturate myself with as much artistic presence as possible {read: brute force!}, I'm setting myself a 52-week illustrating challenge.

Won't you join me? Professional or no, there is something truly wonderful about creating works of art. They don't have to be complicated or even mindblowing. They just have to be yours. When it comes to art, there is no such thing as right or wrong. Free yourself and get creative ... I would love you to come along for the ride, and maybe even face your fears {just like me}.

Be sure to let me know what you've done. I'll be sharing mine right here {gulp!}--and don't be shy--wait till you see my efforts!!

Are you up for it?

Use hashtag #illo52weeks and post your illos on Instagram and Twitter (make sure you tag me! @taniamccartney) or the 52-Week Illustration Challenge Facebook group. You could even leave a comment here so I can come to your blog and see what you've done!

the 52-week illustration challenge, week by week

The following themes apply each week, with start day and month listed alongside.

Images for each themes can't be posted until the start date--always a Wednesday

You're more than welcome to play catch up on past themes, right through the year.

Be sure to state the WEEK and THEME with each and every image you post.

1. eggs 1/1

2. kids 8/1

3. caravan 15/1

4. selfie 22/1

5. flower 29/1

6. machinery 5/2

7. watercolour 12/2

8. cross-hatching 19/2

9. tree 26/2

10. pattern 5/3

11. architecture 12/3

12. numbers 19/3

13. water 26/3

14. simplicity 2/4

15. detail 9/4

16. book cover 16/4

17. horse 23/4

18. celestial body 30/4

19. fish 7/5

20. colour 14/5

21. boxes 21/5

22. eyes 28/5

23. feast 4/6

24. octopus 11/6

25. dots 18/6

26. clouds 25/6

27. snow 2/7

28. feather 9/7

29. plane 16/7

30. sydney 23/7

31. lines 30/7

32. psychedelic 6/8

33. toy 13/8

34. butterfly 20/8

35. paris 27/8

36. house 3/9

37. balloons 10/9

38. giraffe 17/9

39. words 24/9

40. abstract 1/10

41. black and white 8/10

42. under the sea 15/10

43. bird 22/10

44. yarn 29/10

45. leaves 5/11

46. circus 12/11

47. new york 19/11

48. fox 26/11

49. sunshine 3/12

50. christmas 10/12

51. silhouette 17/12

52. fireworks 24/12

BONUS ROUND for 31 December: sweet

25 comments:

Unknown said...

I might have to join you on this challenge ♥

Anonymous said...

Hey Tania,

I'm hoping to do this. Have I missed week one already? If so I'll start from week 2.

Or can I catch up?:)

Dee x

Tania McCartney said...

Would love you to play, darling Dee! And you can join in whenever suits. xx

Teena said...

Hi Tania, I'm not an artist but I'd like to be. I'd already decided to get arty in 2014 so count me in. Gulp! This is scary...

Tania McCartney said...

I know what you mean, Teena--I'm also scared!! So we shall hold virtual hands and bite the bullet and not care a hoot (or try!) what people think of our fabulous amateur artwork! ;)

Gabrielle Wang said...

Hi Tanya,

What a wonderful challenge. I'm definitely going to take this one up!

Thanks for suggesting it

Gabi xx

Tania McCartney said...

Gabi -- would so love you to join in!
xx

Unknown said...

This looks like it will be great! I can't illustrate, though I did do an Illustrator course this year, and if I don't keep practising, I'll forget everything I learned. So I think I'll participate, it's just that my "illustrations" will be using Illustrator or maybe Photoshop. I've done a 30 Days of Drawing challenge once, which was fantastic, so I completely agree that this is a great idea.

Tania McCartney said...

Oh Leesa--how thrilling--I would love to see your work! x

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I'll be a spectator as I always start strong but burn out with long projects! He he. I will enjoy looking at all of the creations though! Happy water colouring :)

Tania McCartney said...

52 weeks is a big commitment, Jess! but I would love to see what you can do, even for a few weeks!

Lu said...

I would love to join, just to keep my head level ;)

Here's my site for you to look at-
www.luisagioffresuzuki.com

Renee Treml said...

What a fantastic idea! I would love to participate. I've been trying to master Corel Painter, so perhaps I will try creating illustrations in Corel. I may be a bit behind at the start (big deadline looming), but I will try to catch up when I can.

Tania McCartney said...

Would love to have you join in, Lu and Renee!

Natalie Daniel said...

Thanks so much for this little challenge am so looking forward to playing with you. I have been totally courageous and left my job to focus on such a things, that and the farm and my husbands business!!!! Thank you Tania x

Natalie Daniel said...

I would love to be part of your wonderful challenge. I have left my job this year to focus totally on such a things, and the farm and my husbands business!!! Thank you cant wait to play with you!

Kelly McDonald said...

I think i can...i think i can....

Ramona said...

Count me in! Such a great idea as I really need to improve my illustration skills.

Tania McCartney said...

So fabulous you can join, lovely people! xxx

Jeffery E Doherty said...

Hi Tania,

I must be a glutton for punishment. I'm in the middle of a huge illustration project already BUT, this sounds like fun.

I will see if I can meet the challenge.

Jeff Doherty

Tania McCartney said...

Would love that, Jeff!

Therin of Andor said...

Hi Tanya, looks like the egg is rolling! I set up a Flickr set for my (hopefully) 52 images at www.flickr.com/photos/therinofandor/sets/72157639530390026/show/.

Unknown said...

I couldn't help myself - I'm in too.

Unknown said...

I am in Tania what fun it will be viewing everyone's work, since we are now in week 3, I will do the first 3 week's drawing
Anita

Tania McCartney said...

Would just love you to join in, Anita!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...