queensland day four: milton ss and avid reader

Sunday 1 April 2012


It's been a long time coming, but I finally made it to my lovely sister Lisa's school - Milton State School - where she currently teaches year 1. What a stunning school - despite terrible damage from last year's floods, I was so impressed with the layout and buildings - and the warmest welcome from teachers and staff - thank you to Paul, Kylie, Glenys, and of course to Lisa for organising my visit!

I set up my Australian Story presentation in the enormous library and spoke with years 3, 4, 5 and my sister's year 1 class. We just had so much fun, sharing and talking about our country's phenomenally rich and convoluted history - and its hopeful future.






I also too much delight in watching Lisa teach (above) - and get to know her gorgeous kids.

In the afternoon, we went for an early dinner then it was onto Avid Reader in West End, which is just the most fabulous store. Avid not only provide a space for a gloriously eclectic range of books, but have a strong line-up of events and author visits consistently in place. It's certainly THE place for literary happenings.

After a warm welcome by event convener and author Krissy Kneen, I spoke to the audience on the inspiration behind Beijing Tai Tai, and read several chapters to a really responsive group. In fact, we did a heck of a lot of laughing, and I was asked some wonderful questions.





After the reading, I signed books, sipped wine and chatted with friends old and new. Here I am (below) with dear friend and handmade living co-creator Tina Snerling (right) and her friend Julie.



And here I am signing for new friend Michal, who insists of this photo that he wasn't being 'rude' but was rather checking the spelling of a name on his phone (yeah right, bet he was secretly taking photos...).


So wish I lived in Brisbane and could frequent this beautiful store. Thank you to Krissy and the team for hosting a truly memorable evening.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...